What is “Bethany Friends”?
Bethany Friends is a program started several years ago where volunteers from the church family are matched with other Bethany members who (any of the following may apply):
- are not able to get to church on regular basis;
- are living in a health care or assisted living facility;
- are experiencing a tough time in life;
- would benefit from a relationship with a church family friend.
What is involved?
Bethany Friends is based on the concept of friendship. It means:
- nurturing an ongoing relationship, though visits and phone calls
- being willing to listen and encourage;
- treating conversations as confidential;
- offering prayer when appropriate;
- sharing news of Bethany ministries and activities.
What is not involved?
- Offering medical care or advice.
- Providing transportation or meals.
- Mediating housing or financial issues.
What is the time commitment?
Being a Bethany Friend calls for only a couple of hours of commitment each month.
What if I can’t attend one of the trainings but still want to be a Bethany Friend?
Don’t worry – just let Pastor Brad know about your interest and he will schedule additional training sessions as needed and/or provide one-on-one training.
What if I can’t make a commitment now but plan to in the future?
The invitation to be a Bethany Friend is a door that’s always open.
Will I have input into who I am matched up with?
Yes, it will be a consultative process.
What if I have questions?
Questions are good and Pastor Brad is ready to answer them for you. You can contact him at 608-238-6381 or catch him at church on Sunday morning. Bev Payne (608-271-2337) and Sally Zwettler (608-437-5835) have been Bethany Friends and are more than happy to help answer questions as well.
Where do I sign up?
Let Pastor Brad or Pastor Greg know anytime you are interested in being a Bethany Friend.