The 12-member Bethany Board provides general oversight for church-wide programming and administration. It is accountable to the Bethany Charge/Church Conference.
Coordination and Visioning
- Discern changing needs and opportunities in the church and community, envisioning new ministries and initiatives in response.
- Coordinate and support the work of the programming teams; keep informed of teams’ goals and progress toward those goals.
- Establish church calendar/room-use priorities.
- Provide financial oversight, so that resources are best used for achieving ministry goals.
- Prepare annual budget recommendation for the Bethany Church Conference. Revise budget mid-year when necessitated by changing financial circumstances.
- Coordinate arrangements for annual stewardship campaign.
- Distribute endowment earnings, scholarship funds, memorial gifts, and bequests; promote planned giving.
Leadership Recruitment and Development
- Annually recruit four Board members to replace those rotating off (a three year rotation schedule will be put in place in 2019). Annually recruit chairs for the six programming teams. Provide assistance throughout the year for recruiting new program team members.
- Coordinate ongoing leadership development and team training.
- Put systems in place for ongoing recruitment of volunteers.
- Provide for the staffing needs of Bethany – hiring, evaluating, and supporting.
- Personnel issues will be discussed confidentially (other agenda items will be public).
- Coordinate care of church property, including providing support to volunteers.
- Provide oversight to occasional insurance and legal issues.